Recovery Capital Assessments
Several tools have been developed to assess recovery capital; including:
- Assessment of Recovery Capital (ARC) scale – consists of 50 statements in 10 domains: Substance Use and Sobriety; Global Psychological Health; Global Physical Health; Citizenship and Community Involvement; Social Support; Meaningful Activities; Housing and Safety; Risk-Taking; Coping and Life Functioning; and Recovery Experience.
- Brief Assessment of Recovery Capital (BARC-10) – an abbreviated 10-item measure of recovery capital, which captures all of the ARC scale domains.
- Recovery Capital Assessment Plan and Scale (ReCAPS) – A recovery capital scale intended as a self-assessment instrument to help an individual measure her or his recovery capital. The scale can be completed and discussed in interaction, and/or it can be completed by the individual and then discussed with a professional or peer helper.
Reflections: We invite you to reflect and journal on the following questions:
- Braucht Works – ReCAPS assessment
- Vilsaint, C et al. Development and validation of a Brief Assessment of Recovery Capital (BARC-10) for alcohol and drug use disorder. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28578224/